Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How did I end up here?

Last Tuesday, Jan. 28th was our egg retrieval. I was so happy that I had made it to this day and I could not wait to here all about embryos. We arrived at the office at 6:10. My aspiration was scheduled for 7:30. I was hooked up to an IV and met with the anesthesiologist and my doctor. I remember going into the procedure room and laying down in a very warm comfortable bed. They told me that they would give me some medicine to help me go to sleep. I could feel the burning of the pain medicine going through my IV. The next think I remember is waking up back in the same bed that I started out in. Jeremy was not back yet, but the nurse was there. I think I asked him at least 10 times how many eggs they retrieved (29!!!) I was still pretty out of it from the medication so I remembered that I had asked him but I just couldn't remember the answer. I was in a lot of pain and they gave me more medicine for it. Then I started to feel very nauseous so they gave me something for that. J came back and said his part went well except for the fact that the office had a broken VCR that day ... poor J !!
It wasn't too long before the embryologist came to let us know that his sample was good and we could go home as soon as I could get up and go to the bathroom. We were home around 11:45.
The following 2 days I felt very sick..almost flu like. I could not eat and it was extremely painful to move. I called the doctor and ended up going in on Thursday. They noticed some fluid beginning to collect on an ultrasound, but gave me instructions to eat salty food and drink a lot. On the way home we stopped and got a Target popcorn (very salty!) and a gatorade. Well, not to get into too much detail but that did not stay down for very long. The next few days until Sunday were really a blur. I was happy to hear that we had 19 embryos that were doing great. I, however, was not doing so great. I was unable to eat anything and I could only stomach very small amounts of liquid (about an ounce an hour). Every day was a battle to get through, but I wanted so badly to get to Sunday. Each night J would drag me out of bed to give me my progesterone shot and I would be so lightheaded I could barely stand up long enough for him to do the injection. We debated going to the hospital nightly and looking back that is definitely what we should have done. I was severely dehydrated and gaining a lot of fluid weight. But I just kept thinking, "maybe I will wake up tomorrow and feel better." I had been waiting so long to get to this IVF and I just couldn't bring myself to make the decision to end it by going to the hospital. Somehow, I made it to Sunday (transfer day)...
To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment