Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's A Go!

Yesterday was a big scare in my little IVF world. Just to recap...
I have been to the RE (Dr. T) every day this week for bloodwork and ultrasound. Even though my dosages have been reduced almost daily, my estrogen level continued to rise. Yesterday the nurse called to let me know that my estrogen was very high and she wanted to prepare me for this cycle to be cancelled. First, we were going to try one night of "coasting." This means that I took only the Lupron- no Gonal F, no Menopur. She gave me a 50/50 chance that this cycle would continue.

This morning I went in for more bloodwork and another ultrasound. My poor arms. They are so bruised from 5 blood draws this week. It is a good thing the weather is still a little chilly and I can wear long sleeves. I have spent the past 24 hours trying to prepare myself for the cancellation of this IVF. I looked at the phone in the middle of church and there was a message from the nurse. I teared up just knowing it was there. I waited until I got home to listen to the message and call her back. And, we received great news. Although my E2 had risen since yesterday it had not skyrocketed to such a high amount that we would have to cancel. We will do the HCG trigger shot tonight and my egg retrieval (originally planned for Thursday) will be on Tuesday morning. I am so happy about this news. I feel like not much with infertility has ever gone my way, but finally this is something.

Tonight is J's first chance to give me an injection and it is a big, important one. He says he is not worried about it. I am worried about giving up this control to him. I would feel better about injecting it myself but I think I think that would be difficult (but not impossible) given the location.

The transfer will be either Friday or Sunday. After yesterday's scare I am back to my usually optimistic self. Just for fun, I went on an IVF due date calculator. If all of this results in pregnancy (and I really hope it does), my due date will be Oct. 20th. Of course I know that this might not work. I might not get pregnant, but for now I can't think about that. This is the closest I have ever been to pregnancy really happening so I am going to enjoy it for now. I have the 2 weeks after the embro transfer to freak out!

“To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping”
-Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment